Getting Ready for Kindergarten
- You are your child’s first and best teacher!
- Follow your child’s lead as they play.
- Talk and read with your child in their first language.
- Help your child learn to share, take turns & respond to “stop”.
- Encourage your child to make choices & decisions.
- Embrace opportunities for your child to play with other children.
- Create daily routines
- Ensure that your child can manage their own backpack
- Help your child learn to put on and off shoes/jackets
- Ensure your child can open and close their lunch kit and containers
- Your child should be toilet trained and understand how to use a public washroom
- Minimize screen time to no more than 2 hours per day … this includes iPads/iPods, looking at your phone, television, movies etc.
- Know what your child is watching.
- Avoid using media to manage your child’s behavior. While it can be calming … this should not be the only way your child knows how to calm down.
Sleep and Nutrition:
- Practice a school appropriate bed-time and morning routine at the end of summer.
- The Kindergarten day is long, and there are more expectations than a day spent at daycare.
- Pack a healthy lunch and snacks. Try to avoid processed foods and sugary snacks. Use re-useable containers.
- Send water rather than juice boxes.
Embrace Time Outdoors:
- Spend unstructured time in nature.
- Prepare your child to be outdoors in all types of weather.