The Code of Conduct is established for the benefit of everyone at Millstream. Our goal is to assist students in developing self-discipline and a sense of responsibility towards others. Students must recognize that any behaviour which interferes with the safety and learning of others is unacceptable.
École Millstream Elementary believes that all students have the right to learn in a SAFE and RESPECTFUL environment. The responsibility for teaching appropriate acceptable behaviour is shared between the home and school. Only by working together can we promote positive and responsible student conduct.
STUDENT CODE OF CONDUCT
Every student at École Millstream Elementary has RIGHTS.
With those rights come RESPONSIBILITIES.
- I have the RIGHT to learn.
It is my RESPONSIBILITY to listen to instructions, to work quietly, and to raise my hand if I have a question or concern.
- I have the RIGHT to be safe.
It is my RESPONSIBILITY not to engage in rough play, to threaten, bully or physically harm anyone else.
- I have the RIGHT to hear and be heard.
It is my RESPONSIBILITY not to interrupt others or make unnecessary noise.
- I have the RIGHT to be respected. It is my RESPONSIBILITY not to tease, bother or upset other people or hurt their feelings.
- I have the RIGHT to privacy and to my
own personal space. It is my RESPONSIBILITY to respect the personal property of others, and to accept their right to privacy.
- I have the RIGHT to a clean, healthy environment. It is my RESPONSIBILITY to dispose of garbage and keep my work and play area clean.
École Millstream Elementary School is a safe and caring school. As members of this school community we have a responsibility to act in ways that are free of:
- Bullying, harassment, threat and intimidation;
- Physical violence and/or violence of any form;
- Verbal, physical or sexual abuse;
- Discrimination, especially based on race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or age (BC Human Rights Code);
- Theft and vandalism.
Our safe and caring school environment does not tolerate the presence of:
- Intoxicating substances;
- Weapons and explosives, regardless of whether real or replica;
- Intruders or trespassers;
- Tobacco and/or smoking (including e-cigarettes).
At École Millstream Elementary we:
- show consideration, courtesy and respect to others and their property
- move, work and play safely
These expectations are reflected in the following ways:
- Keeping hands and feet to yourself (no fighting or rough play)
- Using appropriate language
- Following instructions.
- Showing respect to all adults, students and property
- Acting in a safe manner
Should these rules not be observed, possible consequences may include:
- completing a “social responsibility” form
- conferencing with all parties involved
- developing a behaviour contract
- contacting parents
- cleaning up the playground
- referral to the counsellor
- referral to the administration
- restitution of others’ property or self- esteem
- suspension from school for day(s)
- temporary loss of playground privileges
- time out
- walking with the supervisor
- writing an apology letter
- other consequences appropriate to the situation